the goons so far

My state of joblessness had enabled me to watch most of the gooners games on the weekend night, and then re-watch replays of those games on random weekday afternoons. As I watched the Hull City replays this afternoon, I was mentally giving individual appraisals to the entire team for the season so far.

Alumnia
Decent but never world class. He tends to get mixed up with defenders, lacks communication, command and handles crosses rather poorly. Alumnia has lovely silvery hair, but he ain't no David Seaman.

Fabianski
Excellent reflexes but still young, lacks experience and doesn't command his penalty box well. But this boy is definitely for the future.

Toure
Kolo had always been one of my favorite players in the squad. Unfortunately, he's having a poor season so far, coming on and off the bench. He could be miles better than what he is now.

Gallas
Prone to silly mistakes but have a knack for scoring in set pieces as well. Sucked when he was given captaincy, but played a lot better when stripped off it. This guy is a crying Jekyll and a whining Hyde.

Sagna
Solid like a rock. Runs down the flank well, strong on challenges and surprisingly decent in the air. I like everything about Sagna, except for his ridiculous hair.

Clichy
I like him, but he's always playing the last striker onside. Maybe its the lack of communication within the line, or just a plain lack of concentration. Whatever it is, watching him overlap and raid down the flanks is one of my favorite Arsenal moments.

Djourou
Young and inexperienced, just like half of the squad. In another words, prone to screw ups. Decent otherwise.

Song
I'll love to see a proper DM sitting in front of our line protecting our boys like how Viera used to do it, and Song is the closest player we have to that. I wish to see him start more often.

Denilson
I wouldn't believe for a second that he is Brazilian. Wait, actually I do. He's always giving the damn ball away.

Fabregas
Injured. And that stinks, just like the entire season so far.

Eboue
Falls down too easily, gives the ball away too much. Potential crybaby. But with the absence of Walcott and Rosicky, I do acknowledge the fact that he does provide some sort of width and (attacking) threat to the right flank. Problem is, he always gets pass the defender and then crosses the ball to the audience in the grandstand.

Diaby
Bambi on Ice. A bad copy of a Patrick Viera. A nightmare to my dreams. I wouldn't go any further.

Nasri
Pretty fast feet and good close dribbling skills. Thank god we bought him.

Van Persie
He's like the James Dean of the team. Rebellious, young and brash, but it seems like he's toning down. Always a potential match winner and has the ability to score from the weirdest of angles or strangest of turns. His performance against Hull was top notch and worthy of a Player of the Season for Arsenal for me.

Adebayor
Big guy, holds the ball well, good in the air and pretty quick too. I think he gets too much flak for not being able to live up to the high standards of his predecessor, Henry. But honestly, who can match up to him? Without Adebayor in the squad, our attack is blunt like hell.

Bendnter
Decent but I'm not convinced.

Walcott
I don' care if he's an one trick pony. He gets the job done down the flanks... Now if only he can improve on his crossing and finishing skills.

Eduardo
Give this poor guy a break.

Rosicky
Who's he?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky you. I haven't been able to catch the matches even though I'm in Europe now. It stinks not to have a television set.

desmond said...

Cmon, I'm sure there are pubs that show football on the TVs. It's Europe!